Saturday, September 3, 2016

COMMANDING SABBATH


It should come as no surprise to see another blog on the Sabbath rest.  Not only is society at large "running to and fro throughout the earth," but the Church of Jesus Christ is active and alive and fulfilling manifold assignments designed to advance the Kingdom.  So here is the verse...

Mark 2:27
Then Jesus told them, “The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath."

And here is the challenge:  COMMAND YOUR SABBATH!  Before I define that further, I must confess that by no means am I claiming to have accomplished this.  I am, however, consciously trying to create a new soul habit for myself in this regard.  So, what does, "Command your Sabbath mean?"  Here's the basic concept.  When God created the world, He did so for His own pleasure.  When He finished, it was ALL GOOD - and He said so.  Then He gave charge of it over to man.  He essentially said, "Here - I made this.  It's freakin' awesome!  And now I am entrusting it to you.  Take it.  Exercise the authority you have, being made in My likeness, and cause it to be fruitful."  Folks, I think that applies to Sabbath.  We weren't made to obey Sabbath.  Sabbath was made to bless us!  But, if we don't command the Sabbath in our lives, then other things and people will.

We may find that it is difficult to take a whole day off during the week.  But that doesn't mean that we can't command the spirit and essence of the Sabbath to serve the cause of refreshing our souls in a Godward direction.  Personally, I am trying to command certain hours of my day for Sabbath.  Not just devotions, or Bible study, or even prayer - but straight up SABBATH!  Literal, stripped-down, no agenda, soaking-in-His-presence Sabbath.  Peter said it well, "Hey guys...get in His presence!  Those are the real times of refreshing."  And that, my friends is the spirit and essence and power of rest.  Now, GO COMMAND YOUR SABBATH!

Forever panning for gold,
Chris Liotta 
Lead Pastor
Rivergate Church
Chris@WeAreRivergate.com




© 2016 Chris Liotta

No comments:

Post a Comment